Property and Evidence

Q.  During my contact with the police department some of my property was placed into evidence, how do I get it back?
A.  You may call the police department and ask to speak to the evidence officer to determine the status of your property.  If your property is releasable you must make an appointment with the evidence officer to receive your property.  You will need legal picture I.D. at the time of release of your property.

Q.  How can I get my firearm(s) released to me?
A.  The registered owner of firearm(s) in the possession of law enforcement must complete the “Law Enforcement Gun Release Application”, submit appropriate fees and undergo an eligibility check by the Department of Justice.  The “Law Enforcement Gun Release Form”, instructions and fees for the processing of the application are available on the California Attorney General’s website. Please click on the link to access the form.